A Night Away on the Broads

The Easter holidays were very exciting indeed, and busier than I thought they would be with lots of trips to the boat to sort "stuff" and have a play.
My husband booked Saturday off work and on Good Friday we headed to the boat, met with our sailing instructor and planned to have a sailing lesson to follow the one we had had on the Tuesday. Unfortunately it was too windy for us as beginners so we didn't get to put the sails up but thanks to an engine we are able to explore the Broads in any weather. My husband and the instructor looked at the mast, the ropes and the sails to check everything over whilst the boys and I sat inside watching other boats motor and sail past.
Once we had dropped off our instructor and waved goodbye my husband had many trips to the car to get all of the stuff we needed for a couple of nights on the boat. We were all really excited to sleep on her and find fun places to moor up and also strangely excited to have the challenge of what to eat with limited cooking space.
With boxes full of Pot Noodles, 'just add water' pastas, pies, beans, 'just add water' porridge (soooo yummy) and a fridge with homemade lasagne we filled the drawers and made ourselves at home.

We sailed around, practised using the motor and mooring up, Harry slept and Charles was the best Captain there ever was.
We found the spot we wanted to moor up for the night. A nice space with no one else around until a big group joined later on but were a little way up the bank so didn't disturb us too much.
We cooked the lasagne and some garlic bread in our little oven, had a beer (just my husband and me of course) and listened to music, including some 1930's songs to fit in with the history of the boat.
We listened out for any birds we could hear and both myself and my husband got really excited when we heard a Bittern. It was quite an amazing sound and must have been quite close as we heard it quite clearly and quite a few times, even in the morning.
Then came bed time. We put the boys in their onesies, they played a lot in their big bed at the front and eventually we all fell asleep.

Then it went a big wrong.
12.30 I was woken by a 2 year old white as a sheet (a white sheet of course) and freezing cold. His juice had spilt in his sleeping bag and he was soaking wet. So off went his onesie and on went trousers, t shirt and a jumper because I hadn't packed a spare pair of pjs as I didn't think we would need any.
With his sleeping bag wet I pulled mine from my berth and joined him and Charles at the front. We snuggled down and he started to cough, I knew what was coming next.
He was sick. All over himself, all over my top, and my sleeping bag. We managed to get him into the toilet where he continued and as I tried to clear up the mess, trying not to panic at the small space, and now severe lack of bedding and clothing.
I got him changed...again and just put a jumper on myself. I managed to make my sleeping bag more of a duvet, moving the messy bit to the bottom and on the top (you're welcome for the detail) and Harry chose to sleep in my berth towards the back of the cabin. Thankfully we have 2 big wool rug blankets which I was able to put over him and he was really warm.
We all then woke up at 8am.

We enjoyed a cup of tea, a lovely warm porridge and a beautiful view of the Broads. We had another explore around, again using the motor, and decided that due to my sleeping bag situation we would have to return home. If it was just down to Harry's wet onesie we would have just popped to the nearby Asda to pick him up another but we had no choice.
We stayed moored up on the boat for the afternoon. Enjoyed lunch on the boat of sandwiches, and a tuna pasta salad. My husband and Charles stood on the deck and admired the other sailors going past, all in different boats, all of different ages.

Although we were all disappointed to be leaving early we've certainly learnt a few things for next time. We also know that if we can sleep on the boat when it's as chilly as it was, then the Summer will not be a problem at all.
The trip certainly had it's ups and downs but I'm learning to draw a line under the negatives and just carry forward the positives. Those are the memories I want to keep.
Quality time with my family. Seeing my husbands passion continue, and watching Charles sit next to his daddy equally as proud of our beautiful boat.

Blogger templates by pipdig